CnC World War II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CnC World War II

Legends and Tales. Songs of Glory and Monuments to Valor. Post it all here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Experiences in Roleplaying

+6
Racheal
Malevolent Moose
Leetin McBeatin
Cambria
The Reality Tailor
The Serpent
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Experiences in Roleplaying Empty Experiences in Roleplaying Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:30 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

Good times, bad times, exciting times, times we laughed, times Darnell cried... what stands out to you?

2Experiences in Roleplaying Empty Re: Experiences in Roleplaying Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:30 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

Cambria wrote:I played with a group here for a few sessions that was all completely action based. They didn't even know what to do when I started actual ROLE playing. The DM was absolutely ok with it, and would spend like 20 minutes telling an entire story and then have us roll for an encounter.

I role played out a whole scenario for like 30 or 45 minutes trying to get information from a well-to-do guy in a town we'd traveled to. It was like the DM didn't even know what to do with how I was playing. He wouldn't give me any information, and then after I gave up, he said, basically, "Ok, here is everything you need to know." And then gave me, literally, 10 experience points. 10.

It was so boring. I feel like if you only want to roll the dice, play Monopoly.

The story is so essential.

That same night he told us all that he wanted us to start paying $5 every session, because he had bought a bunch of miniatures and landscapes, and didn't think he should have to carry the entire cost.

I never went back.

3Experiences in Roleplaying Empty Re: Experiences in Roleplaying Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:35 pm

The Reality Tailor

The Reality Tailor

The Serpent wrote:Good times, bad times, exciting times, times we laughed, times Darnell cried... what stands out to you?

-Wall of Suirichiro
-Xavaros the Potato
-Flipping Tables
-Jose's Min/Max
-Legolas (double crit an ogre, the time both his pointer fingers were cut off, not getting accepted into the Elven Archers cuz his disavowed sister)
-My 4.0 character's background

So much stuff....

4Experiences in Roleplaying Empty Re: Experiences in Roleplaying Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:36 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

That brings to mind the time that James and I were rogues in Chis Bauer's game. We entered the largest city on his map and while the party rested at an inn and waited for a meeting with a government official the next morning we set out to find The Thieves Guild. Chris was of the mind that Rogues didn't need to steal so he didn't plan for his players to seek a guild to fence our wares. After convincing him that there should be a guild of some sort in such a large homestead we roleplayed for 30+ minutes finding their lair only to have no one there. It felt like such a waste of time and really turned me off from his game but as any GM knows you have o take what you can get... even if it's shit.

We also received the same Rping experience that the rest of the party received though they spent out RP time playing Magic: The Gathering...

5Experiences in Roleplaying Empty Re: Experiences in Roleplaying Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:37 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

The Reality Tailor wrote:
The Serpent wrote:Good times, bad times, exciting times, times we laughed, times Darnell cried... what stands out to you?

-Wall of Suirichiro
-Xavaros the Potato
-Flipping Tables
-Jose's Min/Max
-Legolas (double crit an ogre, the time both his pointer fingers were cut off, not getting accepted into the Elven Archers cuz his disavowed sister)

So much stuff....

Did you mean Leonidas?
What 4.0 character, you're being vague and not jogging any memories.

6Experiences in Roleplaying Empty Re: Experiences in Roleplaying Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:47 pm

The Reality Tailor

The Reality Tailor

The Serpent wrote:

-Wall of Suirichiro
-Xavaros the Potato
-Flipping Tables
-Jose's Min/Max

So much stuff....

Did you mean Leonidas? Shut up b**ch
What 4.0 character, you're being vague and not jogging any memories.

The Dragonborn Fighter.

7Experiences in Roleplaying Empty Re: Experiences in Roleplaying Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:13 pm

Cambria

Cambria

The Serpent wrote:That brings to mind the time that James and I were rogues in Chis Bauer's game.  We entered the largest city on his map and while the party rested at an inn and waited for a meeting with a government official the next morning we set out to find The Thieves Guild.  Chris was of the mind that Rogues didn't need to steal so he didn't plan for his players to seek a guild to fence our wares.  After convincing him that there should be a guild of some sort in such a large homestead we roleplayed for 30+ minutes finding their lair only to have no one there.  It felt like such a waste of time and really turned me off from his game but as any GM knows you have o take what you can get... even if it's shit.

We also received the same Rping experience that the rest of the party received though they spent out RP time playing Magic: The Gathering...

That really sucks. That is why it is so important to have a good GM.

I always love playing a rogue. Leetin might feel the sting of this experience.... But Lyrah was really devious, as we all know. We once did this whole session about a ship and we went to this underwater cave and met some type of creature. I don't remember what it was... but there was a HUGE amount of treasure that included gold and jewels. I had my helmet of teleportation, which I could use a few times a day, so I suggested this brilliant idea that I would just teleport it back to my house, and we could divide it up once we finish the ship session... yada yada yada.

In game, no one knew I was a rouge... out of game, they all knew. They couldn't meta game, and had no reason not to trust Lyrah, so I robbed them all blind. I told them that jewels were worth less, and split the treasure accordingly.

It was so much fucking fun.

James was always good about letting you fuck others over as long as you didn't kill them... and he would reward you beautifully with experience if you actually pull it off.

8Experiences in Roleplaying Empty Re: Experiences in Roleplaying Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:50 am

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

Water umber Hulks, were the beasties.

Back, back in the day when I was still Rping with my childhood friends, i invited James over to play with us.

The premise was that a Tarisque had awakened and was ravening the country side. We needed to find a wish to put it back to sleep.

We both decided to make thieves, scabby thieves. When ever combat broke out we would ditch the fight and loot the treasure in the next room.It was agreed that between us all was shared. BUT he found a ring of three wished and slight of handed it (I think we did this to each other often). He then went out and made three wished.

He was a Drow

the first was that he could use drow abilities above ground
The second was to use his Drow sword above ground
The third and final was to give the sword an additional enchantment.

Imagine Everyones face (including the DM's) when the only wishes in the game were used....haaa

Talking about scrappy. In James group we had a friend call Kamau, and he both played and DMed. When he DMed his toons became N.P.C's and took a share of the treasure.... skrappy.

9Experiences in Roleplaying Empty Re: Experiences in Roleplaying Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:47 am

The Serpent

The Serpent

I want to try the whole letting characters be scabby to one another but in my experience all it promotes is bellyaching and certain people screaming "If you were a better GM!!!!!" at the top of their lungs.

It could happen soon since my current group is so splintered

10Experiences in Roleplaying Empty Re: Experiences in Roleplaying Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:28 pm

The Reality Tailor

The Reality Tailor

The Serpent wrote:I want to try the whole letting characters be scabby to one another but in my experience all it promotes is bellyaching and certain people screaming "If you were a better GM!!!!!" at the top of their lungs.

You left out crumpling papers and throwing them.

But in all seriousness, like most of us, have a limited amount of time. Especially now that there's a nugget in my life. I go to RP to chill among friends and for a few hours forget life's bullshit. I don't find screwing my friends and allies to be fun (or being on the receiving end). Even Xavvy, my "scabbiest" character didn't purposely screw the group (except Dom, who doesn't count, and Darnell's grudge toon). Of course that's just my opinion and my style of play, so it is what it is.

11Experiences in Roleplaying Empty Re: Experiences in Roleplaying Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:43 pm

Cambria

Cambria

I think it all comes down to if it goes with the character's alignment and story. You can't have a lawful good monk stealing treasure. Also, there can't be metagaming involved in the dirt done.

The first time I ever got fucked over and died was during my first ever campaign that Jimmy was running with his group of friends. This was like late 2006 or early 2007.  This is when Lyrah was first created.  Leetin, Mick, Jaime, and I think Dino, and I were all in it. Jaime got arrested and all of his possessions were seized. He had two really awesome items, one was his spellbook with tons of stuff in it,and the other was a dagger with a seeing stone in it. While he was in prison and awaiting trial, I broke into the dungeon where they were storing his things, and stole them. As I recall, I had to use a lot of spells to accomplish this.  

Cut to him being release and us being banished from the town... when we got far enough away, I returned  his spell book to him, but told him I couldn't find the dagger.  Jaime's character had no way of knowing I had it, and, by this point, they didn't know I was a rogue in game.  However, he used a find magical item spell, and found it in my pack.  He killed me on the spot, without even a word.  I totally lost my shit. Like seriously lost it.  I got up from the table yelling about how he had cheated because he metagamed and now I'm dead.  What a scene.  I was a newbie, so I didn't know I wasn't dead dead.  

Because I acted in character to do my dirt, Jimmy let me be healed. The rest of the party actually reacted to the wordless killing by killing Jaime's character.

I later took the seeing stone out of the dagger and made it into a necklace, which, I'm sure, some of you remember me using to find hidden doors and shit.

I don't think Jaime and I ever recovered from that, though. Ha!

12Experiences in Roleplaying Empty Re: Experiences in Roleplaying Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:01 pm

Malevolent Moose

Malevolent Moose

The Serpent wrote:I want to try the whole letting characters be scabby to one another but in my experience all it promotes is bellyaching and certain people screaming "If you were a better GM!!!!!" at the top of their lungs.

Splintered??? Don't you have to bond first before you can splinter???
why are you trying to poison the pool????

13Experiences in Roleplaying Empty Re: Experiences in Roleplaying Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:44 pm

Malevolent Moose

Malevolent Moose

I feel being scabby is not doing you fair share and then expecting an equal share of the spoils. The way I play is you kill it you get the spoils from it , if it is a group effort then it should be divided with in the group assigning each item where it would do the most good.......to sum it up if you don't do work you shouldn't expect rewards....

14Experiences in Roleplaying Empty Re: Experiences in Roleplaying Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:46 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

So basically if you don't do shit you don't get shit? That seems a bit reasonable.

15Experiences in Roleplaying Empty Re: Experiences in Roleplaying Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:01 pm

Cambria

Cambria

That is one thing I did always find a little annoying with the Devry group.... There would be a few of us that went all in and battled to the end, and some would stay in the background (even literally hiding or playing dead during combat) but then anything gained was still split evenly.

16Experiences in Roleplaying Empty Re: Experiences in Roleplaying Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:56 pm

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

I see scabby as being grimey, and yes expecting when you dont deserve. Its also like my last comment, you take the goods wile the party is still fighting for it.

17Experiences in Roleplaying Empty Re: Experiences in Roleplaying Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:13 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

I see scabby is playing a social group game for self and going out of your way to make sure you are the only one with any treasure. That's scabby and that's the kind of player I can't stand.

18Experiences in Roleplaying Empty Re: Experiences in Roleplaying Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:19 pm

The Reality Tailor

The Reality Tailor

The Serpent wrote:I see scabby is playing a social group game for self and going out of your way to make sure you are the only one with any treasure.  That's scabby and that's the kind of player I can't stand.

Basically what I been saying.

19Experiences in Roleplaying Empty Re: Experiences in Roleplaying Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:20 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

The Serpent wrote:I see scabby is playing a social group game for self and going out of your way to make sure you are the only one with any treasure.  That's scabby and that's the kind of player I can't stand.

So you don't trust honest business men that aren't you? interesting pirat

20Experiences in Roleplaying Empty Re: Experiences in Roleplaying Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:29 pm

The Reality Tailor

The Reality Tailor

The Serpent wrote:

So you don't trust honest business men that aren't you?  interesting pirat

I don't trust me either. What you talking about.

21Experiences in Roleplaying Empty Re: Experiences in Roleplaying Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:43 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

Fair enough. Now with that said, scabbiness has its place in RPing. I mean there is an actual class for those greedy bums. Just like there is a class for the guy who wants to run in and bust heads.

22Experiences in Roleplaying Empty Re: Experiences in Roleplaying Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:21 pm

The Reality Tailor

The Reality Tailor

The Serpent wrote:Fair enough.  Now with that  said, scabbiness has its place in RPing.  I mean there is an actual class for those greedy bums.  Just like there is a class for the guy who wants to run in and bust heads.

Yes there is. I don't know, personally I just don't feel your party members (or the people you play with) should be your next victims. Just my opinion.

23Experiences in Roleplaying Empty Re: Experiences in Roleplaying Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:23 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

The Serpent wrote:Fair enough.  Now with that  said, scabbiness has its place in RPing.  I mean there is an actual class for those greedy bums.  Just like there is a class for the guy who wants to run in and bust heads.

Yes there is. I don't know, personally I just don't feel your party members (or the people you play with) should be your next victims. Just my opinion.

Agreed.

24Experiences in Roleplaying Empty Re: Experiences in Roleplaying Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:57 pm

Malevolent Moose

Malevolent Moose

We are all victims....get over it

25Experiences in Roleplaying Empty Re: Experiences in Roleplaying Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:26 pm

The Reality Tailor

The Reality Tailor

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum