CnC World War II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CnC World War II

Legends and Tales. Songs of Glory and Monuments to Valor. Post it all here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is it Possible for a System to be too Flexable?

+9
Drunk Flogger
zulugm1
Random
Lord Naiilo
lancelot chamomile
Legendary
Dark Shoo
Leetin McBeatin
The Serpent
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

The Serpent

The Serpent

Can a system be too versitile? What I love about DQ is what ultimately drags a game down. With little limitations playes get too creative and the resulting game always gets overpowered. Is it possible for a system to be too flexable?

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

Good question. Flexibility is what helps players think out of the box, it allows the imagination run wild. If a game is tooo structured them we all can play a video game. Another version of flexibility is an inspired DM. Some times a player can come up with something that changes the whole flow of the adventure.

On the Con...with out rules there is only chaos. Balance and flexibility are both equally very important. Rules help that out, but so does trial and error. Life is not fair and balanced, why should a game ultimately be?

Dark Shoo

Dark Shoo

I feel my problem with DQ is that it's a little too flexible. It seems like as a GM you can create this open world where the possibilities are limitless but then the game becomes to chaotic and unbalance that you're not enjoying it or the GM can put the clamps and the PCs to ensure the game remains fair but now the PCs arent having fun. Its a fine line you have to walk while playing DQ or the game can easily spiral out of control.

Legendary

Legendary

I like the fact that you can make anything you can think of in DQ because of it's openess. On the other hand I don't like the fact that the players will make up something that is cool to them and the DM says no, it's too overpowered. And then not only allows but helps another player make a robot that destroys planets....There has to be some balance when you have such a flexable game as DQ.

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

I have to agree with shoo. dnd has too many rules per se and DQ is too open. CnC is atually great in that it has rules but not enough to make the game un fun

Legendary

Legendary

dnd has too many rules per se and

What?

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

dnd has too many rules and dragonquest is too flexible

Legendary

Legendary

Ok, but what did you mean by "per se"

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

idk lol

Legendary

Legendary

Awesome...

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

at first i didnt like CnC but now i like it

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

Its the beat system I have ever played, but I also only Played DQ 3 times. Not much to go on.

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

you should try DnD 3.5 one time lol

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

Never...NEVER I tell you! Damb you to hell!! ARRRGGGG Evil or Very Mad

That game sux and have no desire to play. Its all about how cheezey you can be. That was cool when My friends and me played whenwe were 12. Not anymore.

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

ok then we can stay with cnc lol

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

Or DQ

Lord Naiilo

Lord Naiilo

Well the idea of having control as well as flexibility is a good thing because it makes the game fun. I've played both from my point of view and it I enjoyed them both. In DQ, o hell yeah there is breakers for the pcs but I also believe it comes down to the DM's congression. Cnc, I didn't understand it in the beginning but the more that I played it, the more the game made sense and due to the control of the Dm also helped.

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

nailo i agree with you

The Serpent

The Serpent

Yet we've barely brushed the topic, Can a system be too flexible?

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

THe only time I Dmed this game the layers took advantage of me not totally knowing the rules and dynamics of the game. It got me thinking that It was not the games fault but the DM.

A game can provide you the world . Its one persons job to create balance and joy.

Random

Random

seeing how chad roleplays with all his crazy ideas i think we are going to be able to try and get away with alot more crazyer shit then when we play with that other stiff ass DM (damn rule nut) :-)

The Serpent

The Serpent

Sad

Very Happy

Sad

lol!

zulugm1

zulugm1

The ability to create any type of atmosphere you want, as a Gm. The lack of a box before you begin to create allows a GM and a creative roleplayer the opportunity to create his own rules for the way magic functions or in the case of the role player how he works magic. Does the practitioner need a charm a fedish, an incantation or just his or her mind. the flexablity of the game doesn't destroy but enhance the game.

GM's take responsibility for the speed and smooth play of you games. Make this ROLEPLAY not RULEPLAY. Get out of the box boys and girls.

The Serpent

The Serpent

Without the box most people see an open world of limitless possiblities. For some, that inspires fear. To compensate rules are added that are not neccessarily needed. Yet some forget why we build houses with roofs. If there is no ceiling the magnitude of the stars are allowed to crush our spirits.

No rules can be as bad as too many rules. Maybe it should be ignore THAT box and make your own, carefully.

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum