CnC World War II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CnC World War II

Legends and Tales. Songs of Glory and Monuments to Valor. Post it all here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is it Possible for a System to be too Flexable?

+9
Drunk Flogger
zulugm1
Random
Lord Naiilo
lancelot chamomile
Legendary
Dark Shoo
Leetin McBeatin
The Serpent
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

zulugm1

zulugm1

Those stars, that our roof hides from us, crush only those who's imagination needs other peoples limits to function. The true star gazers remember they are but dust in the face of such majesty. It is only when we realize that there are no real limits that we can soar through the galaxy of ideas without worrying about an end to our inspiration.

You are all creative to one degree or another or else you could not see the colors, patterns and designs we GMs create in your minds with only words. Open you senses to the dream and you can almost smell the ogres coppery breath after he has taken a bite of your thigh. You will feel the bite of steel when it cuts into your forearm as you miss blocking an enemy's blade. You can taste the honey dipped sweet meat your character just snatched from the breasts of you favorite maid as she waits for you to take her anyway you wish.

What rules cover these actions so well you can almost be there. WARRIORS, POETS, SEERS and Friends drop your ridiculous DND rules. Forget the endless rolls about do I like her, does the lizardman attack me when I look like the people who destroyed his village Question Will the lycanthrope attack me on sight after I uncover his secret DUHHHHH...... I, as a GM don't want to roll for those things. Lets go with some basic assumptions and then work out the exceptions and the whys.

And guys can you please give the villians time to speak. They really want to tell someone about all thier big plans. None of their henchmen can even begin to understand the depth of thier genious. Only you who have proven yourselves worthy of thier conversation, only you have come close to fouling thier plans and only you have occupied thier thoughts for so long deserve to see and hear them rant in triumph as they lay down the killing stroke. (it also gives you time to think) Just a side note.

ZULU

Random

Random

Wow who the fuck is zulu...is that old man tom? That was some deep poetic shit right there (that's my pat impresion, damn ghetto ass people)

28Is it Possible for a System to be too Flexable? - Page 2 Empty yes random I'm Black.... I mean Back Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:36 pm

zulugm1

zulugm1

Yo, yo, yo how is it.....you guy ready for gaming online? read general discussion post under New Game?

The Serpent

The Serpent

D&D has a number of seemingly unnecessary rules but they are designed to keep order. I agree that any system that dictates a roll is required to determine whether a hostile faction will attack the protagonist is stupid I believe you (Zulu) are over exaggerating the level of constriction other systems force.

True Dragon Quest is just as rules heavy as D&D. But we don't play True DQ. We play loose and free with the rulebook and make our own games. Less rules mean more room for chaos creativity because chaos is creativity.

I agree that there should be less rolls but some players aren't ready for the responsibility of what that implies. If a roll of the dice isn't there to determine whether you succeed at wooing an attractive female/male NPC then it is all left up to you, the player, acting as you, the character, would act. This feat of imagination and discipline is easier said than done. I guess rules help the meek keep pace with the mighty...

The Serpent

The Serpent

I miss Thom. That Old Boot was a fountain of knowledge and it just spewed out whether you wanted it to or not. I miss 3020 Thomson Ave. The Student Commons has no rival as far as gaming space. James' Apartment was good and King's games would be cool if it wasn't in the middle of nowhere. Student Commons, that's where the Dragon Slayers, Castle Crashers, The Four, and even The Vampire Earth DBZ crew were born. Remember our past people, remember our past.

Drunk Flogger

Drunk Flogger

no comment on flexability but i do miss tom, he was the man. he is crazy as shyt, highly inteligent and i can say an expert roleplayer as well as a master MAN.

The Serpent

The Serpent

I find myself wishing to make create a Homebrewed DQ game with a Semi-Modern game where I incorporate Magic, Science, swords, guns, and monsters into one big crazy (nonDemon Hunters)... game.

Or maybe its just time to introduce the group to the beauty that is my world of Demon Hunters.

Drunk Flogger

Drunk Flogger

The Bubbling Dark wrote:I find myself wishing to make create a Homebrewed DQ game with a Semi-Modern game where I incorporate Magic, Science, swords, guns, and monsters into one big crazy (nonDemon Hunters)... game.

Or maybe its just time to introduce the group to the beauty that is my world of Demon Hunters.

im down

The Serpent

The Serpent

You guys as Demon Hunters... that would be a trip.

Drunk Flogger

Drunk Flogger

The Bubbling Dark wrote:You guys as Demon Hunters... that would be a trip.

not really we have grown a bit since last time, for example we didnt need like 3 years to make our turns go by. people knew what they were going to do, it only changes when the situation changes. i think as a whole we need everyone to play demon hunters. There are characterisics(might have spelled that wrong) that each of us have that might make a situation go faster or better. I dont know if me and 2 other people could do demon hunters the way you have been talking about it,but ..... im down!

Random

Random

I would be down too but I think you should stick to one playstyle (dq cnc dnd...) And perfect it ot atleast finsh your storyline I think one problem is that you get bored with your own work and want to do something new and then you do and never go back to the orignal thing you were working on in the first place. I think for once you should try to end a game. Like cnc let's say our goal is to kill find deep kill deep and that's it if we go up against deep and he kills us then he kills us he doesn't play with us a bit kill just a few then flys away and kills the rest. We failed in our game, game over. But if we kill him then that's it we killed him write a nice wrap up for what happens after he dies and not some oh and of you look closly there was really blubbering dark in the shadows controling deep and that's really the person you have to kill then the story would continue but we would all start vto get bored becuases its like oh yay sma old same old. Idk if this makes sense but I think you know what I'm trying to say.

The Serpent

The Serpent

I believe a large part of why Demon Hunters could be difficult is because living in modern day and working for an organization with very strict rules in regards to your activity contradicts your (The Usual Suspects: Pat, Darnell, Khourie, Daniel, Jose, Tony, Shaun, Lian, Lloyd) natural inclinations to go wild and crazy. Aside from that I think you guys could strive. There won't be any medieval concepts that go over your heads, like social status, and you guys can use your real world knowledge without fear of metagaming. I've had lots of fun with you jerks and Demon Hunters is my best game EVER and it would be cool to see my original players in my greatest.

The Serpent

The Serpent

Random wrote:I would be down too but I think you should stick to one playstyle (dq cnc dnd...) And perfect it ot atleast finsh your storyline I think one problem is that you get bored with your own work and want to do something new and then you do and never go back to the orignal thing you were working on in the first place. I think for once you should try to end a game. Like cnc let's say our goal is to kill find deep kill deep and that's it if we go up against deep and he kills us then he kills us he doesn't play with us a bit kill just a few then flys away and kills the rest. We failed in our game, game over. But if we kill him then that's it we killed him write a nice wrap up for what happens after he dies and not some oh and of you look closly there was really blubbering dark in the shadows controling deep and that's really the person you have to kill then the story would continue but we would all start vto get bored becuases its like oh yay sma old same old. Idk if this makes sense but I think you know what I'm trying to say.

You have a point(hurt like pulling teeth to say that), Danny. But tit doesn't entirely ring true. I do get bored but not with my work as much as with the overall outcome of what's happening. If I start a game with a specific feel or atmosphere that I'm trying to create and I don't accomplish that goal or the players seem to be struggling or some other factor gives me cause to feel the game will be less than successful I cut my losses and jump at something else. It's worse now because the time between games gives me plenty of time to go over every aspect of our last game. However my comments about DH were not for now but for after this current game. I think we're on to something with prepping online, here before, we start rolling dice.

In regards top The Deep Battle, which obviously still bothers you, when I story-boarded the battle there were going to be high casualties but I did not want a TPK and this is before we played and everyone got popped. So from a player's perspective it would appear that I did some selective weaning but in truth I was playing out the battle and thinking the entire time crap, someone has to live to tell the tale so that when he comes back he isn't some random black dragon. I might have killed Tony spitefully but the rest were the last so they escaped with their lives. I actually think that that was the only battle, for you guys because my DH players get it all the time, that I planned to kill people outright... not counting the option fight against Matron R'Van in LOT4:R.

Drunk Flogger

Drunk Flogger

The Bubbling Dark wrote:
Random wrote:I would be down too but I think you should stick to one playstyle (dq cnc dnd...) And perfect it ot atleast finsh your storyline I think one problem is that you get bored with your own work and want to do something new and then you do and never go back to the orignal thing you were working on in the first place. I think for once you should try to end a game. Like cnc let's say our goal is to kill find deep kill deep and that's it if we go up against deep and he kills us then he kills us he doesn't play with us a bit kill just a few then flys away and kills the rest. We failed in our game, game over. But if we kill him then that's it we killed him write a nice wrap up for what happens after he dies and not some oh and of you look closly there was really blubbering dark in the shadows controling deep and that's really the person you have to kill then the story would continue but we would all start vto get bored becuases its like oh yay sma old same old. Idk if this makes sense but I think you know what I'm trying to say.

You have a point(hurt like pulling teeth to say that), Danny. But tit doesn't entirely ring true. I do get bored but not with my work as much as with the overall outcome of what's happening. If I start a game with a specific feel or atmosphere that I'm trying to create and I don't accomplish that goal or the players seem to be struggling or some other factor gives me cause to feel the game will be less than successful I cut my losses and jump at something else. It's worse now because the time between games gives me plenty of time to go over every aspect of our last game. However my comments about DH were not for now but for after this current game. I think we're on to something with prepping online, here before, we start rolling dice.

In regards top The Deep Battle, which obviously still bothers you, when I story-boarded the battle there were going to be high casualties but I did not want a TPK and this is before we played and everyone got popped. So from a player's perspective it would appear that I did some selective weaning but in truth I was playing out the battle and thinking the entire time crap, someone has to live to tell the tale so that when he comes back he isn't some random black dragon. I might have killed Tony spitefully but the rest were the last so they escaped with their lives. I actually think that that was the only battle, for you guys because my DH players get it all the time, that I planned to kill people outright... not counting the option fight against Matron R'Van in LOT4:R.

was that fight with talindra her full power or were you holding back considerably?

The Serpent

The Serpent

Wandering Omen wrote:
The Bubbling Dark wrote:

was that fight with talindra her full power or were you holding back considerably?

That fight was everything that I planned to through at you guys plus a bit of improvising to make the scene more cinematic. Storyline wise she was weaker than she would have been if you guys had eventually fought her in LOT4:R. I didn't pull any punches besides spreading out the damage instead of killing you one by one.

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

What was the game random me and....randoms random friend...no that aw Lloydes random friend and lloyde. Some of the night?

Random was a gangster
I was a vamp
lloyde was an incestual werewolf
Random lloyde friend a cripple b/c Random fucked him up by breeaking his legs and throwing him in a dumpster.

What game was that!!!

The Serpent

The Serpent

Lords of the Night

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

Yea, that was fun.

The Serpent

The Serpent

That and Demon Hunters have felt more fluid and fun for me as a GM because they were small games, 2-4 PCs, that allowed me to let the players drive the story. I find that though Event Driven campaigns are great for big groups Player Driven campaigns are where roleplaying shines and players feel the most fulfilled.

Drunk Flogger

Drunk Flogger

The Bubbling Dark wrote:That and Demon Hunters have felt more fluid and fun for me as a GM because they were small games, 2-4 PCs, that allowed me to let the players drive the story. I find that though Event Driven campaigns are great for big groups Player Driven campaigns are where roleplaying shines and players feel the most fulfilled.

I like small camapains but it doesnt feel as epic as it should if there isnt alot of people to bask in its awsomeness.

The Serpent

The Serpent

Wandering Omen wrote:
The Bubbling Dark wrote:That and Demon Hunters have felt more fluid and fun for me as a GM because they were small games, 2-4 PCs, that allowed me to let the players drive the story. I find that though Event Driven campaigns are great for big groups Player Driven campaigns are where roleplaying shines and players feel the most fulfilled.

I like small camapains but it doesnt feel as epic as it should if there isnt alot of people to bask in its awsomeness.

You've never experienced a game where every awesome or epic event has been solely driven by your need to advance and at your pace. Plus to say you and about 3 others were victorious is a magnificent feeling!

Drunk Flogger

Drunk Flogger

The Bubbling Dark wrote:
Wandering Omen wrote:

You've never experienced a game where every awesome or epic event has been solely driven by your need to advance and at your pace. Plus to say you and about 3 others were victorious is a magnificent feeling!

i have never experienced that with those small numbers before, everytime we got close campain ended or changed to a new one. then we always have a larger group before it gets small, then fades away....

The Serpent

The Serpent

Wandering Omen wrote:
i have never experienced that with those small numbers before, everytime we got close campain ended or changed to a new one. then we always have a larger group before it gets small, then fades away....

Ah, the ebb and flow of the sea of life... maybe one day we'll get some dedicated players and make it happen.

Drunk Flogger

Drunk Flogger

The Bubbling Dark wrote:
Wandering Omen wrote:

Ah, the ebb and flow of the sea of life... maybe one day we'll get some dedicated players and make it happen.

i can be one, we just need to find the others.

The Reality Tailor

The Reality Tailor

Wandering Omen wrote:
The Bubbling Dark wrote:
Wandering Omen wrote:

i can be one, we just need to find the others.

I have next to no life Sad , I can be a dedicated player Very Happy
Though seriously, I'd like to see that we finish this campain we started, then see what happens after that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum