CnC World War II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CnC World War II

Legends and Tales. Songs of Glory and Monuments to Valor. Post it all here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Art of Role-Playing

+4
lancelot chamomile
Legendary
Leetin McBeatin
Areowyn
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

76The Art of Role-Playing - Page 4 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:59 pm

Dark Shoo

Dark Shoo

I think its good to look out for yourself but not at the expense of the party because they will only tolerate so much...

77The Art of Role-Playing - Page 4 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:51 am

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

i know i can tolerate only so much

78The Art of Role-Playing - Page 4 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:44 pm

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

yea, me too.

My tolerance only goes so far.

79The Art of Role-Playing - Page 4 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:49 pm

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

you know that we are talking about your right? lol

80The Art of Role-Playing - Page 4 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:31 am

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

Darius.

81The Art of Role-Playing - Page 4 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:12 am

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

exactly lol

82The Art of Role-Playing - Page 4 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:58 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

The Serpent wrote:
Areowyn wrote:To finally reply to what people think I mean, I'll use my characters as an example. Eliza for instance, her background includes no real training in any weapons or armors except for a staff. in the beginning of the campaign I caught a lot of heat for it in the beginning. Guess people warmed up 2 her in the end. Thing is I try to make a character as "real" as possible. People aren't good at everything, no one can pick up a weapon and instantly be a genius w/ it.
Another character I had was the "Pokemon Trainer" in Tom/Lem/Shaun's campaign. I took healer strictly for my pets and got harassed because I wouldn't heal the group. Even though in my background I have no knowledge on healing humans, I can still heal because I took the skill. That was the other P.C.'s reasoning.
I just think people (and I am generalizing this) should actually "think" about what your or other characters can or can't do. I put limits on my characters, because it makes me work harder for what I want to do; on top of that It makes my experience that much more.
Lastly I think people need to be a bit more considerate for/to other people's characters. just because a character choose to play their class differently doesn't mean they should be looked down upon... or worst told they should change the way they play their character.

I agree with you but only slightly.  When a player writes a background and uses that as the blueprint for a unique character it is beautiful however the palyer must be concious of the game he is playing.  In Dragon Quest a character is built from the ground up with weapon training, skills and knowledge all things earned through roleplaying.  The versatility of such a system is revealed in the ability to create a completely unique character who is not governed entirely by his abilities.  Castle & Crusades and Dungeons & Dragons are different.  These are games of archetypes.  The player picks an archetype and they advance within the boundaries of the role they've chosen.  A player might want to be a child, clueless to the world and unable to function outside of the strong singing voice and love of their god but having chose to be a Bard they have chosen to be the worldly jacks of all trades, the bard's archetype.  Now characters can choose to tweek an existance out of an awesome background, and I secretly encourage this, but there has to be a balance between what you imagine and what you choose.

I want to say more but Ms. Pauline is coming back!

I like this thread, or at least the parts that centered around the original post.

83The Art of Role-Playing - Page 4 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:20 am

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

That was a deep post. If Only I can remember what brought that about.

Is it me or are abilities in D.Q. practically useless in the short picture? Meaning that raising a "level" is practically insignificant? The goal is 10 levels before you actually see growth in a skill?

Yea that was off topic.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum