CnC World War II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CnC World War II

Legends and Tales. Songs of Glory and Monuments to Valor. Post it all here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Art of Role-Playing

+4
lancelot chamomile
Legendary
Leetin McBeatin
Areowyn
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

51The Art of Role-Playing - Page 3 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:34 pm

Areowyn

Areowyn

To finally reply to what people think I mean, I'll use my characters as an example. Eliza for instance, her background includes no real training in any weapons or armors except for a staff. in the beginning of the campaign I caught a lot of heat for it in the beginning. Guess people warmed up 2 her in the end. Thing is I try to make a character as "real" as possible. People aren't good at everything, no one can pick up a weapon and instantly be a genius w/ it.
Another character I had was the "Pokemon Trainer" in Tom/Lem/Shaun's campaign. I took healer strictly for my pets and got harassed because I wouldn't heal the group. Even though in my background I have no knowledge on healing humans, I can still heal because I took the skill. That was the other P.C.'s reasoning.
I just think people (and I am generalizing this) should actually "think" about what your or other characters can or can't do. I put limits on my characters, because it makes me work harder for what I want to do; on top of that It makes my experience that much more.
Lastly I think people need to be a bit more considerate for/to other people's characters. just because a character choose to play their class differently doesn't mean they should be looked down upon... or worst told they should change the way they play their character.

52The Art of Role-Playing - Page 3 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:40 pm

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

ok that makes sense. i will stop trying to beat up on legend

53The Art of Role-Playing - Page 3 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:38 pm

Legendary

Legendary

I think i kind of know what you mean. Whenever I make a new character and it isn't a fighting class, the first thing everyone asks is, "What can you do in a fight?" Then when I tell them, "I'm not much of a fighter at all...I'm just traveling the world to see new sights and experience new things." They jump down my throat and threaten to kill me. Then they complain on how I always choose a bruiser and don't role-play. I mean what fun would it be if every time you ran into a new stranger they told you their life story? I mean, at least that's what I think you meant...

54The Art of Role-Playing - Page 3 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:39 pm

Legendary

Legendary

O yeah and; That's right Lancelot! Stop stabbing me in the face! Mad

55The Art of Role-Playing - Page 3 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:46 am

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

i'll stop when you decide to role play Razz lol

56The Art of Role-Playing - Page 3 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:49 am

Legendary

Legendary

lol!

57The Art of Role-Playing - Page 3 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:50 am

Legendary

Legendary

I've been putting a lot of effort into my next character, so when I play as him(if he lives long enough) I think I'll have a lot of fun and maybe then I'll be able to do what everyone seems to call role-play...

58The Art of Role-Playing - Page 3 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:28 am

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

stop worrying about the next character and worry about the one you have now

59The Art of Role-Playing - Page 3 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:04 pm

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

Exactly!!!!!!!

60The Art of Role-Playing - Page 3 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:49 pm

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

lol!

61The Art of Role-Playing - Page 3 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:04 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

Areowyn wrote:To finally reply to what people think I mean, I'll use my characters as an example. Eliza for instance, her background includes no real training in any weapons or armors except for a staff. in the beginning of the campaign I caught a lot of heat for it in the beginning. Guess people warmed up 2 her in the end. Thing is I try to make a character as "real" as possible. People aren't good at everything, no one can pick up a weapon and instantly be a genius w/ it.
Another character I had was the "Pokemon Trainer" in Tom/Lem/Shaun's campaign. I took healer strictly for my pets and got harassed because I wouldn't heal the group. Even though in my background I have no knowledge on healing humans, I can still heal because I took the skill. That was the other P.C.'s reasoning.
I just think people (and I am generalizing this) should actually "think" about what your or other characters can or can't do. I put limits on my characters, because it makes me work harder for what I want to do; on top of that It makes my experience that much more.
Lastly I think people need to be a bit more considerate for/to other people's characters. just because a character choose to play their class differently doesn't mean they should be looked down upon... or worst told they should change the way they play their character.

I agree with you but only slightly. When a player writes a background and uses that as the blueprint for a unique character it is beautiful however the palyer must be concious of the game he is playing. In Dragon Quest a character is built from the ground up with weapon training, skills and knowledge all things earned through roleplaying. The versatility of such a system is revealed in the ability to create a completely unique character who is not governed entirely by his abilities. Castle & Crusades and Dungeons & Dragons are different. These are games of archetypes. The player picks an archetype and they advance within the boundaries of the role they've chosen. A player might want to be a child, clueless to the world and unable to function outside of the strong singing voice and love of their god but having chose to be a Bard they have chosen to be the worldly jacks of all trades, the bard's archetype. Now characters can choose to tweek an existance out of an awesome background, and I secretly encourage this, but there has to be a balance between what you imagine and what you choose.

I want to say more but Ms. Pauline is coming back!

62The Art of Role-Playing - Page 3 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:08 pm

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

Damn that woman ms. pauline lol

63The Art of Role-Playing - Page 3 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:58 pm

Legendary

Legendary

lancelot chamomile wrote:stop worrying about the next character and worry about the one you have now

I can't do that...I used to do that when I didn't die so much and it was fine. But now, since I die so much(including dieing without even getting a chance to play that character Razz ) I always have to have a backup character. If I don't, then when I die I'll have no reason to stay for the rest of that session because I wont get the chance to play again until at least the session after next...At least if I have a backup, I can still play that session...Maybe...

64The Art of Role-Playing - Page 3 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:43 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

When PCs sit to play D&D and C&C they want to play one of the archetypes. A player that can't handle that should play Dragon Quest or The Storytelling System.

65The Art of Role-Playing - Page 3 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:22 am

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

try this one legend. try not to think of your next character until the one you have actually dies. if you start to think of the next one then you will not be able to concentrate on the curent one and he will die

66The Art of Role-Playing - Page 3 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:26 am

Legendary

Legendary

Lol too late...I have my next 3 characters already in my head...

67The Art of Role-Playing - Page 3 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:03 am

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

and i bet you they will all die because your thinking in the future and not in the present

68The Art of Role-Playing - Page 3 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:34 am

The Serpent

The Serpent

Actually, whenn he's ready for his next character he likes to 'sacrifice' the current character for the cause. I must make him feel like a hero.

69The Art of Role-Playing - Page 3 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:37 pm

Legendary

Legendary

Twisted Evil

70The Art of Role-Playing - Page 3 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:40 pm

Lord Naiilo

Lord Naiilo

But when.......... ahh. I can't read or write on this. I think u make a bunch of characters its cool and dandy. But u wouldn't have any emphasis on the character because u already have it in ur head that he's gonna die. And that isn't goin to bring out ur true roleplayin skills.

71The Art of Role-Playing - Page 3 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:27 pm

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

Good idea, Your next two characters will go to a good cause (at least for Darius). This way you can be a caught up. Think of this as a favor amogst friends. Also this will allow you to stop complaining that The DM is always killing you.

I Will.

72The Art of Role-Playing - Page 3 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:59 am

Legendary

Legendary

There you go.

73The Art of Role-Playing - Page 3 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:41 am

Lord Naiilo

Lord Naiilo

Ur retarded leetin. Y must his characters work for ur benefit and not the entire team's benefit.

74The Art of Role-Playing - Page 3 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:07 pm

Legendary

Legendary

Why can't my characters work for my benefit?

75The Art of Role-Playing - Page 3 Empty Re: The Art of Role-Playing Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:30 pm

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

yea, why not?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum