CnC World War II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CnC World War II

Legends and Tales. Songs of Glory and Monuments to Valor. Post it all here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dungeon Master/Game Master

+9
The Reality Tailor
Dark Shoo
Random
Lord Naiilo
Legendary
lancelot chamomile
The Serpent
Leetin McBeatin
Cambria
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Dungeon Master/Game Master Empty Dungeon Master/Game Master Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:07 pm

Cambria

Cambria

No matter what you call him/her, a campaign isn't a campaign without the all mighty DM/GM. There has been A LOT of talk and complaints about what the DMs role is when running a campaign. So this is your chance to tell us what you really think.

This topic isn't for complaining or bashing past or present DMs, but, instead, a chance for us to outline what we think the role and responsibilities of the DM are or should be.

Please think about it and consider that sometimes you will get what you ask for....

Let the madness begin!!!

2Dungeon Master/Game Master Empty Re: Dungeon Master/Game Master Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:43 pm

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

The Dm is god incarnate, the creater of all that is good and evil. This mighty being creates a world that has not been in existant moment before. The DM.

Overall the job is difficult especially when you have a lot of people playing. The job is also very fun. were would everyone be with out one?

Once a world is created its the players who dictate were and how. Saying a month was spent creating this kick ass city of many adventure; then the party enters and says ehh, let buy gear and leave. If you are not enthralled by the creation then the DM needs to create more.

Its a constantly evolving job.

3Dungeon Master/Game Master Empty Re: Dungeon Master/Game Master Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:06 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

The job of The GM is to have a lot of free time, then use that free time to plan and agonize about that Kick Ass City of Many Adventures. He/she conceptualizes, and plans this place of High Adventure: Who built this city, what are its landmarks, when was the more modern district built, how do the people of the city eat, why is this city any different from all the others. The GM has to treat cities and towns like important npcs, flesh them out. Then he/she begins to populate said City of Many Adventures with people and sites to ensure this NPC/City is believable, the quirky town crier, the seedy guild hall, the one eyed sheriff, the famous bridge. Once the he/she is finally finished and The Kick Ass City of Many Adventures is ready it is presented to the PCs who ignore the sites, kill the crier and burn down the bridge. THIS IS WHERE THE GM'S SKILL IS TESTED!!! He/she then sagely smiles, sells the PCs the gear they've come for and doesn't bat an eye as his/her time and creativity is sorely waste.

king

GM: Thankless job but it has its perks... you're the only player that is guaranteed to have some idea of what's going on.

Sleep confused

4Dungeon Master/Game Master Empty Re: Dungeon Master/Game Master Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:12 pm

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

the GMs job is to pretty much create the world and be a good enough storyteller to be able to translate whats in his head to the players. I think its great when a GM knows what he is doing and has an active enough imagination to be able to make beautiful worlds. Also just being able to do whatever you want is awesome too. "oh the party is not doing what i want? and on top of that they are trying to get over on me? time to throw a monkey wrench in their plans and if they ask just tell them it was a random encounter" i am not bashing anyone or that was not meant for anyone but if i could i would do that

5Dungeon Master/Game Master Empty Re: Dungeon Master/Game Master Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:30 pm

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

Groms answer made me giggle, but Lancalotes made me laugh.

6Dungeon Master/Game Master Empty Re: Dungeon Master/Game Master Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:37 pm

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

lancelot?

7Dungeon Master/Game Master Empty Re: Dungeon Master/Game Master Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:10 pm

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

I was going to call you Lan for short, but obviouslly that will cause confusion.

So, for now on you will be known as LotLanc Laughing

8Dungeon Master/Game Master Empty Re: Dungeon Master/Game Master Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:11 pm

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

Mad no i dont like it...i dont like it at all

9Dungeon Master/Game Master Empty Re: Dungeon Master/Game Master Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:10 pm

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

HA!

10Dungeon Master/Game Master Empty Re: Dungeon Master/Game Master Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:47 pm

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

lol!

11Dungeon Master/Game Master Empty Re: Dungeon Master/Game Master Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:02 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

Call him 'Last of the Wellingto Snides' and leave it at that!

Back to topic...

The DM/GM is the Atlus on who's back the world sits. He can't enjoy said world because it is his life to hold it up... he sucks.

12Dungeon Master/Game Master Empty Re: Dungeon Master/Game Master Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:06 pm

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

are you saying that you are not enjoying yourself?

13Dungeon Master/Game Master Empty Re: Dungeon Master/Game Master Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:53 pm

Legendary

Legendary

The Great Gromwold wrote: he sucks.

lol!

14Dungeon Master/Game Master Empty Re: Dungeon Master/Game Master Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:08 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

I'm saying it gets difficult with all the bitching and belly aching that comes with the job.

You kill me too much?
I die too much?
Why did I die?
I didn't want to die?
I want an axe?
Why can't I have armor and shielding that makes it impossible top hit me?
Why did you give me that axe?
Things are too easy?
Things are too hard?
Why do you challenge us so much?
Why cant I have a magic butter knife that kills gods?

It gets old, and you start to wonder whether people are having fun.

Last edited by The Great Gromwold on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

15Dungeon Master/Game Master Empty Re: Dungeon Master/Game Master Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:32 pm

Legendary

Legendary

The Great Gromwold wrote:
Why cant I have a magic butter knife that kills gods?

It gets old, and you start to wonder whether people are having fun.

2 things. First one: I SO WANT THAT KNIFE!!!! Twisted Evil

Second: If they weren't having fun, then they wouldn't care enough to complain....

16Dungeon Master/Game Master Empty Re: Dungeon Master/Game Master Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:33 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

Wow, touche!

17Dungeon Master/Game Master Empty Re: Dungeon Master/Game Master Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:24 am

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

im having fun. but if you feel that strongly about it let me dm after this story arc. whattaya say?

18Dungeon Master/Game Master Empty Re: Dungeon Master/Game Master Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:18 am

The Serpent

The Serpent

Take the time to make your own story and world, I'll play. I need to PC.

19Dungeon Master/Game Master Empty Re: Dungeon Master/Game Master Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:03 am

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

i'll run it by u tomorrow.

20Dungeon Master/Game Master Empty Re: Dungeon Master/Game Master Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:32 am

The Serpent

The Serpent

You don't have to run anything by me.

1. You create your own world
2. Populate said world
3. Create a storyline
4. Have PCs roll up characters
5. Place PCs in story
6. Tell story

As long as the game is consistant and compelling, I'm in. I'm going to roll up a human knight of royal blood.

21Dungeon Master/Game Master Empty Re: Dungeon Master/Game Master Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:32 am

The Serpent

The Serpent

Game Masters have to know how to hold hands.

22Dungeon Master/Game Master Empty Re: Dungeon Master/Game Master Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:42 am

Lord Naiilo

Lord Naiilo

Not to be a dick or anythin Lancelot but I don't think anyone is goin to want to play ur game. We would jus probably test it to see wat it is bout and if its ass, that was the end of the campaign. I maybe speakin for myself sayin this but if u want it to work, u got to bring ur A game like no other.

23Dungeon Master/Game Master Empty Re: Dungeon Master/Game Master Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:41 pm

Legendary

Legendary

Well he has been role-playing differently than he used to and I have to give him credit there, he's been doing a good job. So maybe this time there wont be the uber lvl 20 rogue that gets +20 to everything he does tongue Besides you never know, you might like it.

24Dungeon Master/Game Master Empty Re: Dungeon Master/Game Master Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:49 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

I Hated that Old Man... he didn't even have a damn name! Just The Old Man T Harrasses Lem's Character!

I hope never to se TOMTHLC- Thom Thilck again!

25Dungeon Master/Game Master Empty Re: Dungeon Master/Game Master Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:19 pm

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

New Dm's new experiances. I'm Down.

Im rolling up a fighter/paladin/ranger. He is a holy knight of the woods. The great tree oak ettine is my god. Might add Barbarian to it for the HP.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum