CnC World War II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CnC World War II

Legends and Tales. Songs of Glory and Monuments to Valor. Post it all here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Stones of Darkness

+12
The Serpent
Lord Naiilo
Cambria
Malevolent Moose
Dark Shoo
Talis of Stormfall
lancelot chamomile
PeepingTom
The Reality Tailor
Racheal
Drunk Flogger
Leetin McBeatin
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 31]

1The Stones of Darkness Empty The Stones of Darkness Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:09 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

4000 years ago The End consumed all that was the world of man; his lands, his gods, his hopes, and dreams...

3997 years ago man found salvation in the lands of the fae...

3800 years ago saw the last elf vanish for all time...

3000 years ago war divided the new world into three nations; The Kingdom of Arash, The Kingdom of Quinlain, and The Pentad Hegemony...

10 days ago you were hired by The High Priest of Thor to find an important religious artifact, The Second Hammer...

You live in the Kingdom of Quinlain as either citizens or barely accepted outsiders. Man's war with the feliruu was nearly 200 years ago and the dwarves have become allies of trade. Orcs, once a nuisance, are almost extinct. It is a pivotal time in the history of the realm where The Church of The Five Houses is at its peak power and poised to control the political direction of all three nations. This is a time of heroes where history can be made or unmade...

2The Stones of Darkness Empty Re: The Stones of Darkness Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:11 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

Dominant Religion

Pantheon of The Five Houses:

The Pantheon of The Five Houses is the primary human religion brought across The Great Sea when the old world was destroyed by an undefined event known as The End. The religion consist of the original gods of The Three Houses plus the gods that survived The End. Their priest are accepted in all three human kingdoms and wield strong political power in two. The church is led by The Five High Priest and most clerics hold fealty to church first, the gods second, and monarchy last. The gods of the houses are revered and respected in intensity from the kings and queens of The First House to the lowly gods of The Fifth House.

A few gods…

1st house

Leviathan, god of the sea

Dalluvian, goddess of love

The Earth Mother, goddess of nature

2nd house

Chimera, lord of wrath

Kharis, god of change

The Swan, god of death

3rd house

Xavros, prince of thieves

Masaru, god of vengeance

The Bread Maker, chef of the dark harvest

*note: I have not created a conclusive pantheon list because I know some people like to create their own deities so I’ve left room for those that fit.

The Egyptian Pantheon

The Norse Pantheon

Judaism

Christianity

3The Stones of Darkness Empty Re: The Stones of Darkness Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:12 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

The Party so Far:

Alastrann Callaghan
-Human Illusionist
Marcus Goodman
-Human Rogue
Callieach RubyKing
-Dwarf Fighter
Jareth Carri
-Feliruu Cleric
Smarf Smarf
-Feliruu Rogue/Ranger
Polaris, king of The Ursine
-Half-Orc Druid
Gar
-Half-Orc Monk

Last edited by Chaos' Plague on Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

4The Stones of Darkness Empty Re: The Stones of Darkness Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:36 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

Session One- Into The Swamps

Their adventure started, as many such adventures do, in a dank and drafty tavern known as The Drinking Mule.  They made a strange and motley crew: The Illusionist, The Fighter, The Rogue, The Druid, The Cleric and The Ranger.  They listened as a local trapper named Hanis pointed them in the direction of the swamps to the north.  They had been set on their quest by Father Nicky, a priest of Thor that had spent a considerable fortune for fourth-hand knowledge of the location of the fabled Donnerschlag.  Very few knew of Thor’s second hammer but the priest believed that not only that it existed but that his sources had found clues worth hiring a band of mercenaries to find it.  Hannis gave some thought to the sparse information provided by the party and used his knowledge of the local landmarks to direct them to the Blackscale Swamp.

Thus informed the party sought and found transportation in the form of a Nestle, that being the name of the town, local named Old Alan.  In exchange for a waterskin of Catkin Ale and a small quest of his own.  He once foraged for lily pads within the Blackscale Swamp but with a recent rise in Blackscale, did I mention that the swamp was named after the Blackscale Lizardfolk tribe?  well it is, aggression it was no longer safe.  The party agreed to get old Alan his pads and he agreed to get them north.

Not long after arriving in the swamp they were beset by a group of Blackscales which they promptly eliminated.  On the second day they stumbled upon a nest of Dream Spiders whose webbing and venom caused vivid hallucinations, these were also defeated but not without heavy costs.  Within the nest they found loot and an Orc Monk by the name of Gar.  Seeing the value of working with a seasoned group, and reeling from the loss of his previous party he joined.  (A little foreshadowing perhaps?)  Their leader, Polaris King of The Ursine, ordered a fireless camp so that the party could rest while he and Smarf the Ranger hunted for food.  True to their stubborn dwarven nature and most likely fueled by her feminine caprice  Calli Rubyking, dwarven exile, started a fire just to prove she could.  Her allies stood by knowing that her actions might bring trouble and fair reader they were right.

Drawn by her crude smoke signals a troop of Bullywugs, frogmen native to the swamp, attacked the party.  Their assault was clumsy and unorganized but surprisingly the party was no match for their  shabby weaponry.  After falling out of a tree and witnessing his companions dropping one by one Mr. Marcus, thief and ne'er-do-well, fled the scene leaving the others to the mercy of the monsters.  He found Smarf and Polaris and attempted to convince them to abandon the mission and their friends.  Lucky for the others they ignored his council and sought out the Bullywug camp.

Polaris was a Half-Orc but was also a child of the druidic order, a diplomat of nature’s creatures.  He impressed upon the bullywugs the necessity of an alliance and brokered the release of his friends who were soon to be sacrificed to The Great and Hungry Toad, god of the Bullywugs.  The deal was simple: the party would have shelter and succor among the tribe and in return they would lead the tribe’s five warriors in combat against the power center of The Blackscale Tribe.  Chief Ugwug was excited at the prospect of mighty soldiers crushing his enemies.  Unfortunately the party was not prepared for such a task.  After abusing the bullywug’s hospitality Polaris renegotiated the terms of their deal.  Ugwug spoke of a temple to the north east being defiled by the lizardmen.  The druid hoped that that temple would be the location of Donnerschlag.  He convinced the chieftain that removing the lizard taint from the location might weaken the enemy and the simple frogman leader consented to call the debt even if the party cleared the temple so that his people could use it as a stronghold.

Rejuvenated and a bit cowed by their defeat against the bullywugs the party headed toward the half sunken temple.  It was with the structure in sight that they once again met their friend Hanis but this time Hannis meant to scare the group away.  He worked for The Bog Witch and never intended the party to get so close to their destination.  With their goal in reach he meant to dissuade them with force.  However a well placed illusion cast by Callaghan of The Many Colors left the trapper discombobulated and ultimately defeated.  Yet there is defeat and then there is defeat and when dealing with wererats you have to be sure their dead before you turn your back.

To be continued…

5The Stones of Darkness Empty Re: The Stones of Darkness Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:13 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

Death Count

Lizardmen: 3
Dream Spiders: 5
Bullywugs: 1
*Hannis: 1

6The Stones of Darkness Empty Re: The Stones of Darkness Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:04 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

Hannis broke into convulsions, foaming at the mouth and twitching spasticity.  Jarreth made to check his vitals when from the rope bindings burst forth a manrat.  The creature's surprise attack left the healer bleeding and fighting for his life.  The party engaged Hannis for the second time.  His supernatural nature gave him an advantage over their mundane weapons and the battle was instantly in his favor.  Their tale might have ended there if not for the silver weapons discovered near the Bullywug camp.  Mr. Marcus was mauled by the lycanthrope before the monster was finally put to rest.  Polaris, king of The ursine used the last of his Goodberry spell to get the cleric of The Earthmother back to his feet.  With the liberal use of Jarreth’s Cure Light Wounds the party was ready to continue.  In the shadow of the sunken temple the party prepared to find Donnerschlag.

They searched the forty foot walls of the temple until they came upon a section of collapsed masonry.  Observing from a distance they recognized the symbol of Loki, the Norse god of mischief.  Some thought this a sign that they were on the right path others assumed they had found the wrong resting place.  Either way they entered the once forgotten compound.  The sunken temple was large with dozens of structures and even more pillars rising towards the heavens.  The mark of Loki was everywhere.  As the party took in the sights they were attacked by a trio of skeletal warriors.  Jarreth drew out his holy symbol and the divine light of The Earthmother frightened the monsters and set them fleeing.  The gods were apparently on their side.

They came upon a wooden structure, most likely an addition to the original compound, it wasn’t long before they encountered cultists of Loki.  The fanatics did not want to parlay, they wanted to rid their home of outsiders.  The fighting was ferocious and when the last enemy was defeated the party needed to rest.  They barricaded the building and set up camp.  In the dead of night they could hear distant sinister chants to dark entities in dark places and the occasional squeaking of rats.  That morning while exposing of the festering bodies of the cult the party was beset by abnormally large rats hell-bent on attacking specific party members.  In the aftermath Mr. Marcus and Gar were left unconscious.  Again wounded and low on healing the party contemplated resting once more.

Callaghan studied his spellbook while Polaris and Smarf butchered the unsavory rat meat.  Jarreth tended to the wounded and Calli wandered around aimlessly.  It was after the illusionist finished studying his book that Calli noticed the wooden debris stacked outside of the building.  She realized the trouble that the party was in as she heard cultists preparing to ignite oil soaked lumber.  Her warning was too little too late and the structure was ablaze before the party could do anything.  Trapped Calli Rubyking and Polaris hacked their way out of the building and into waiting cultists.  The Illusionist called on his arcane arts and used Color Spray to incapacitate half of the enemy before they could react.  One fled and Polaris gave chase as the cleric, fighter, and illusionist dispatched the rest.  The fleeing cultist ran into the largest structure in the compound and Polaris returned to his people.  He knew that they needed to retreat but what he did not know was that he had gained the attention of The High Priest of Loki.

They fell back to a seemingly defensible outcropping of stones a mere twenty minutes away from the temple.  Polaris established watch and gave instructions before heading into the swamp to hunt.  Two hours past and then The Dagger of Loki descended.  Two black robed cultist captured Polaris with relative ease while he was alone and foraging.  A force of a few dozen white robes managed to capture Calli and Mr. Marcus.  Fast thinking by Callaghan of The Many Colors allowed the mage to escape and follow his allies captors.  Smarf was nowhere to be found and Jarreth hid himself and Gar before the cultist could search the camp.  Thus scattered the party’s prospects looked bleak.

The High Priest of Loki smiled as the prisoners were brought before him: a human, a dwarf, and a half-orc.  He asked for names for those would be recorded in the annals of the cult where all sacrifices were written.  It was so that their souls could be claimed by Loki during Ragnarok.  Fear and desperation pressed in on our heroes as the prospect of salvation seemed less and less likely.  Consumed by hopelessness Calli Rubyking invoked the name of Thor  and after a brief struggle dove to her death.  Polaris again used his diplomacy to plead with The High Priest for his life and entered the party into a dark pact with the god of mischief.  Unable to resist the power of the pact, the power of the temple, the group was again set upon a new quest.

To be continued…

7The Stones of Darkness Empty Re: The Stones of Darkness Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:13 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

Death Count

Lizardmen: 6
Dream Spiders: 5
Bullywugs: 1
*Hannis: 1
Skeletons: 3
Cultists: 12
Dire Rats: 4
Crocodile: 1
Calli Rubyking: 1

8The Stones of Darkness Empty Re: The Stones of Darkness Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:46 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

Class roles from the C&C Players Handbook...

FIGHTER: Fighters combat and defeat opponents, thus helping to ensure
the party's survival. Fighters lead the party, defending it and taking the
brunt of any attack. Fighters protect the weaker members of a party and
supply strategic knowledge and tactical expertise.

ROGUE: The rogue serves as the eyes and ears of an adventuring party.
Their ability to hide, move silently and strike from behind makes them
perfect scouts in both dungeon and outdoor settings. Their ability to find
and disarm traps, open locks and decipher scripts provides invaluable skills
necessary to a party's survival.

ASSASSIN: The assassin possesses many abilities of the rogue, but their own
specialties as well. While less useful in outdoor settings, they are more at
home in cities, towns and even dungeons. The assassin's ability to evaluate
and specifically target individual foes, and disguise, make them dangerous and
capable spies and able to launch unexpected attacks.

MONK: The monk should not be underestimated for its ability to act as
the party's fighter. Their ability to withstand damage, and as they gain in
experience, to deal damage, is potent. Further, their unique non-combat
abilities provide an added resource to any party. The monk often plays
many roles in a party.

ILLUSIONIST: Like wizards, illusionists play offensive, defensive and
informational roles in an adventuring party. The unique nature of their
magic can often effectively combat odd and unique creatures that a
wizard's or divined spell caster's magic has no effect on at all. Even more
than the wizard, the breadth of an illusionist's magic is limited only the
player's imagination.

CLERIC: Adventuring parties covet and protect their clerical members
for good reason. A cleric's combat and spell capability, along with the
divine power to combat undead, constitute an irreplaceable foundational
stone to a party. Clerics are especially adept at protection, guidance and
healing. Indeed, the well-played cleric can occupy all four classic
archetypal roles at some point in their career.

DRUID: Druids are similar to clerics, but their strength lies in
support and guidance, especially in wilderness settings. Druids
have their own unique combat and information gathering abilities
that make up for any lack of ability to combat undead.

9The Stones of Darkness Empty Re: The Stones of Darkness Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:28 pm

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

12 Cultists dead and still the Bullywugs were our greatest challenge.

Sounds fun. The party is already making dark pacts with mischievous gods.

10The Stones of Darkness Empty Re: The Stones of Darkness Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:52 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

It was fun but the party needed you. Things went from bad to worse gradually and eventually they had no choice but to plead for their lives. Ironically you and I had a similar situation in the old Babylonian circle campaign which was some of the most fun I've had as a PC so things could take a turn for the better. it all depends on our motley crew of chuckleheads and clown shoes.

11The Stones of Darkness Empty Re: The Stones of Darkness Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:55 pm

The Reality Tailor

The Reality Tailor

Leetin McBeatin wrote:12 Cultists dead and still the Bullywugs were our greatest challenge.

You dipped. I wonder if you have the mark...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW7Op86ox9g

12The Stones of Darkness Empty Re: The Stones of Darkness Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:58 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

The Reality Tailor wrote:
Leetin McBeatin wrote:12 Cultists dead and still the Bullywugs were our greatest challenge.

The link made me chuckle.

13The Stones of Darkness Empty Re: The Stones of Darkness Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:48 pm

Drunk Flogger

Drunk Flogger

The Reality Tailor wrote:

i was cracking up too!

14The Stones of Darkness Empty Re: The Stones of Darkness Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:08 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

I think I am going to throw in 5-7 Healing potions next session in order to supplement the lack of healing in the party. if Rob and his friend(Random PC 1) the party will be 10 strong. I normally would think that such a party could succeed but the party's batting average is fairly low at the moment.

15The Stones of Darkness Empty Re: The Stones of Darkness Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:24 pm

The Reality Tailor

The Reality Tailor

I think part of the reason is we too cocky. It's been a while since we played Level 1 toons, and people being too aggressive. Not an excuse mind you, just a reason.

16The Stones of Darkness Empty Re: The Stones of Darkness Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:54 pm

Malevolent Moose

Malevolent Moose

Just give me the the healing potions and I will make sure they are available to everyone.... At a reasonable price....

17The Stones of Darkness Empty Re: The Stones of Darkness Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:58 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

Why does Mal the Moose sound like Random? I haven't decided, maybe I should give them to a player and leave it up to the party to take care of itself...

18The Stones of Darkness Empty Re: The Stones of Darkness Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:00 pm

The Reality Tailor

The Reality Tailor

I agree give him the potions.

19The Stones of Darkness Empty Re: The Stones of Darkness Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:16 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

The Reality Tailor wrote:I agree give him the potions.

I was thinking of giving them to Nikki or Darnnuggets.

20The Stones of Darkness Empty Re: The Stones of Darkness Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:32 pm

Drunk Flogger

Drunk Flogger

Malevolent Moose wrote:Just give me the the healing potions and I will make sure they are available to everyone.... At a reasonable price....

sir i can assume you are rob you need a photo sir, please update and welcome.

21The Stones of Darkness Empty Re: The Stones of Darkness Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:37 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

Forgotten Whisper wrote:
Malevolent Moose wrote:Just give me the the healing potions and I will make sure they are available to everyone.... At a reasonable price....

sir i can assume you are rob you need a photo sir, please update and welcome.

Yes that is Rob or mal the Moose as I have decided to call him.

22The Stones of Darkness Empty Re: The Stones of Darkness Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:44 pm

Malevolent Moose

Malevolent Moose

Darkness has no photo....

23The Stones of Darkness Empty Re: The Stones of Darkness Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:52 pm

Malevolent Moose

Malevolent Moose

You may call me a:The Malevolent One or B) Mr. Moose.....Not mal the Moose

24The Stones of Darkness Empty Re: The Stones of Darkness Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:57 pm

Drunk Flogger

Drunk Flogger

25The Stones of Darkness Empty Re: The Stones of Darkness Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:09 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

Just saying...

Mal the Moose

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 31]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next