CnC World War II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CnC World War II

Legends and Tales. Songs of Glory and Monuments to Valor. Post it all here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dungeons and Dragons 4.0: Why do I hate it so much

+3
Admin
Dark Shoo
The Serpent
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

The Serpent

The Serpent

Wizards can wear Fullplate Mail.

The Giant swings his club at the unsuspecting Wizard.
DM: 30 to hit!
Wizard: My AC is 37, miss
DM: You were surprised so you had ne DEX... the giant smasshes the wizard with his club and the blow glaces off. What are doing?
Wizard: I cast Lightening Bolt. 60dmg, is it dead.
DM: Its dead...

Wizards with Fullplate...

Dark Shoo

Dark Shoo

I was a BEAST!!!! My AC was only 31. LOL Dont forget the ritual that let me walk around the world in two days.

Admin

Admin
Admin

AHHHHHHHHH! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

https://cncwwii.forumotion.com

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

That is exactly why I never have played the system and never plan on it.

Admin

Admin
Admin

The system is WOW made into a tabletop yet not as dvoid of Roleplaying as the actuall World of Warcraft Tabletop game. Lame...

Dark Shoo

Dark Shoo

4.0 is a video game but instead of buttons you just say you powers.

The Serpent

The Serpent

This place is dead today...

Dark Shoo

Dark Shoo

VERY dead.

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

Morte

Legendary

Legendary

Of course I have to be the evil one in the group. I liked a lot of things about 4.0. I liked the daily/encounter/at will ability process they had. I also liked the fact that characters could heal themselves a little bit. I also liked that you can sometimes get bonuses or special abilities when you're bloodied.

the thing I loved the most though, was that half dragons are a base race! THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Legendary on Fri May 21, 2010 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

The Serpent

The Serpent

Dungeons and Dragons 4.0 is obviously Wizards of the Coast attempt to step into the 21st century when short attention spans and need for instant gratification has turned players into toons that would rather blurt out a phrase in all out nerd fury and listen as the DM describes what moves and actions are unleashed. Old school D&D was about adventure and problem solving, new school D&D is about Megapower and explosions. They forgotten their roots.

Feats and powers were bad enough but its to the point where any class can cast spells from ritual spells! Even the mystery of magic has been removed, the magic items that player once adventured for are in the book right behind your normal equipment. System is for weak roleplayers that just want to wear armor and pretend to be adventurers. That's not D&D no matter what people say...

I think the idea of adding new playable races in the core book but lets not fool ourselves. Half-Dragons/Tieflings as a core race? These strange and awesome creatures are so common that player could easily roll one up. It appeals to some of us, myself included(Tieflings RULE!) but its more fan service for the toons and little more.

Note: Second wind is a great concept that allows players to fight through the pain and get back into the thick of things. I also like that a character progresses all the way to level 30 even though that progression represents getting more of those daily/encounter/at will abilities.

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

I think Wizards purchased DnD so thy can pirate its contents for its card game. They also see DnD as a business and only look at the number$.

You cant turn rollplaying into a corporate entity. it needs the love of its creaters and players.

The Serpent

The Serpent

As I continue to download old TSR modules and books I see more and more the wealth of material that was lost when Wizards of the Coast brought the name.

TSR
Dungeons and Dragons
Greyhawk
Ravenloft
Dragonlance
Forgotten Realms
Dark Sun
Spelljammers
Hollow World

Wizards of the Coast
Dungeons and Dragons
Forgotten Realms
Eberron(Awesome)

Panda bear in the forest... all is lost

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

I downloaded some Eberron books and skimmed through them. It seemed like a good source of information and ideas.

The Serpent

The Serpent

I sometimes find myself wishing I'd got into roleplaying ten years earlier when it caught my interests.

Random

Random

DM: does 35 hit, yeah i rolled a 19 i just hit you right
Random: yeah you just hit me sooo reroll that.
DM:what...
Random:yeah i have a power that lets me reroll any roll made against me so reroll that.
DM:fuck this shit im going back to 3.5

The Serpent

The Serpent

It truly felt like the resources for 4.0 were heavily lopsided in favor of the PCs. I believe in the PCs having fun and being able to take every advantage they can acquire but a GM new to the D&D 4.0 system is at a distinct disadvantage to equally new players characters.

Dark Shoo

Dark Shoo

ManaNation has received a tip that Wizards of the Coast has decided to end the print run of the Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition Core Handbooks, instead aiming to turn the game in the direction of “Dungeons and Dragons Essentials”, a product to be released later this year. The first product for the Essentials line is starting with the ‘Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy Roleplaying Game’ also being called ‘the Red Box’ and is due to be released on Sept. 7th, 2010.

It is our understanding that they are not going to be reprinting any of the three main books, the Players Handbook, Dungeon Master Guide and Monster Manual from this point on to allow them to be phased out. No other books have been mentioned.

Update: We have been inundated with requests to provide more proof or out our source. We cannot do either.

And as clarification, yes there are plenty of books still in circulation but it was made very clear to our source that they would not be reprinting these books again, so when the circulation runs out, whenever that may be, then there will not be more printed.

Admin

Admin
Admin

Score!!!!!!!1 cheers

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

‘Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy Roleplaying Game’ also being called ‘the Red Box’ and is due to be released on Sept. 7th, 2010.

That is how this system started in the 80's by TSR and the Godking Gary Gygyx.

The RedBox is D&D we all know the system as A D&D.

I can't believe they plan on bringing it back. I bet its a marketing ploy to get the old schoolers back.

The Serpent

The Serpent

Is it a revision or the actual original product?

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

I didnt like the fact that someone who read the book could break the game easily. such as i run into the middle of a group. Pull them all to me and then whirlwind them all to death. 3.5 was the best dnd experience and i wouldnt mind going back to that

The Serpent

The Serpent

You are a neophyte in your knowledge of roleplaying, most of us are. 3.5 was as broken as 4.0 in its own way... feats. If it goes back to AD&D there will be no such thing as I am beast because I chose some perk when i leveled. You'll have to choose proficiencies(skills) and roleplaye.

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

well i prefer roleplaying as opposed to rollplaying cuz i suck when it comes to rolling lol

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

2nd addition created proficiencies.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum