CnC World War II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CnC World War II

Legends and Tales. Songs of Glory and Monuments to Valor. Post it all here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Calling All Computer Nerds

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Calling All Computer Nerds Empty Calling All Computer Nerds Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:26 pm

Cambria

Cambria

I am starting my graduate degree in a few weeks, and I need to purchase a computer. I have read a few tech sites, and it seems like the Lenovo Thinkpad is a good computer for business students, and that it will last me throughout my degree program. I am looking at the following:

Lenovo ThinkPad T450s Ultrabook

Intel Core i5-5200U Processor (3MB Cache, up to 2.70GHz)
Windows 7 Professional (with upgrade to Windows 10)
14.0" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS with WWAN
Intel HD Graphics 5500
8GB DDR3L-1600 4G Base+4G (1 SoDIMM)
256 GB Solid State Drive, Serial ATA3 OPAL2.0 - Capable

Does this seem ok for me, or is it too much? It cost a lot more than I expected to spend, but I want something with decent speed and longevity. It will be about $1200 before tax.

2Calling All Computer Nerds Empty Re: Calling All Computer Nerds Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:08 pm

Toepoker

Toepoker

why lenovo? Who recommended it?

3Calling All Computer Nerds Empty Re: Calling All Computer Nerds Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:10 pm

The Reality Tailor

The Reality Tailor

Cambria wrote:I am starting my graduate degree in a few weeks, and I need to purchase a computer.  I have read a few tech sites, and it seems like the Lenovo Thinkpad is a good computer for business students, and that it will last me throughout my degree program.  I am looking at the following:

Lenovo ThinkPad T450s Ultrabook

Intel Core i5-5200U Processor (3MB Cache, up to 2.70GHz)
Windows 7 Professional (with upgrade to Windows 10)
14.0" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS with WWAN
Intel HD Graphics 5500
8GB DDR3L-1600 4G Base+4G (1 SoDIMM)
256 GB Solid State Drive, Serial ATA3 OPAL2.0 - Capable

Does this seem ok for me, or is it too much?  It cost a lot more than I expected to spend, but I want something with decent speed and longevity.  It will be about $1200 before tax.

While I do respect that ThinkPad, that feels way overpriced. I have an (very overpriced) Alienware gaming laptop, that was only a couple hundred more dollars then what you'd be paying for this.

4Calling All Computer Nerds Empty Re: Calling All Computer Nerds Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:14 pm

Cambria

Cambria

Toepoker wrote:why lenovo?  Who recommended it?

I read a few blogs and tech sites that have it listed, and a few mentioned it is great for business students.

5Calling All Computer Nerds Empty Re: Calling All Computer Nerds Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:28 pm

Toepoker

Toepoker

well if you did your research and like what you see then go for it. Though I would change the solid state drive for a 500gig or terabyte HDD for more storage space.

6Calling All Computer Nerds Empty Re: Calling All Computer Nerds Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:00 pm

The Reality Tailor

The Reality Tailor

Same thing Joey said, if you like the looks, go for it.

I subscribe to a podcast called Before You Buy, I personally like their reviews. They have a YouTube channel if you want to check it out.

7Calling All Computer Nerds Empty Re: Calling All Computer Nerds Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:21 pm

Cambria

Cambria

I seriously almost had a nervous breakdown over trying to find a freaking laptop. I bought one, and then returned it the next day, because I ended up reading some really bad reviews about it. So yesterday I went to Best Buy for like the 10th time, and decided to go look at the Samsung section. I ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7. It is a tablet, and I got a keyboard case with it. I can use Microsoft Office on it, and it was only $423. I ended up spending a another like $70 on a screen protector and micro SD card, but I happy with my decision. Once I move, I will invest in a desktop for home use.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum