CnC World War II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CnC World War II

Legends and Tales. Songs of Glory and Monuments to Valor. Post it all here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Of Gods and Men

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Of Gods and Men Empty Of Gods and Men Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:28 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

Whenever the opportunity arises I create my own pantheon of deities when I start a new campaign but we've never had this discussion. Of the collection of pantheons that their is published literature for who is your favorite?

2Of Gods and Men Empty Re: Of Gods and Men Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:51 pm

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

By Far Snarfs favorite go is Lion-o. Cause he is cool.

In truth the Greece pantheon was always A favorite, I think mainly because they interfere in mortal life. A lot of random occurrences were always blamed on them and solidified the relevance of worship.

The Egyptian Mythos though is my favorite. They had a nice story behind their gods, even their ruler was practically one as well. The secrets and mystery, the rituals, the embalming, even their temples were created to tell a story. Their temples were not just a building they were a complex and the further in the complex your were allowed the more secrets you learned. The writing was on the walls.

3Of Gods and Men Empty Re: Of Gods and Men Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:32 pm

The Reality Tailor

The Reality Tailor

Not really sure, as I've never really read into stuff like that. Really off hand the only thing I can think of is the Greek pantheon. I've read the original Percy Jackson series, but most other books I read either don't touch religion or have their own.

4Of Gods and Men Empty Re: Of Gods and Men Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:36 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

The Reality Tailor wrote:Not really sure, as I've never really read into stuff like that. Really off hand the only thing I can think of is the Greek pantheon. I've read the original Percy Jackson series, but most other books I read either don't touch religion or have their own.

Interesting point. Even in games where your religious beliefs matter in the form of a patron deity no DM/GM ever really makes faith a large part of their game. That's an angle I can use in this current campaign.

5Of Gods and Men Empty Re: Of Gods and Men Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:38 pm

Malevolent Moose

Malevolent Moose

Gods have no place in the role playing world all they do is make shit harder than it has to be or make you go on a dumb ass quest for something that they lost.... That's right an all knowing all powerful God loses shit...... my rule Don't bother me and I wont kill as many of your followers as humanly (or Elvenly , or dwarvenly or well you get it )possible

6Of Gods and Men Empty Re: Of Gods and Men Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:16 pm

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

In 2nd edition most of the gods gave you powers for devotion. Some gifts were a bit powerful, but it was prob the only time players had an incentive to pray.

Since the powers were granted to the player, they can also be taken away if you act out of character..... also the gods also required a specific ALG. Some gods required A ALG and Class, and others required rituals.

7Of Gods and Men Empty Re: Of Gods and Men Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:19 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

Man are the tools of the gods, their hands and feet on the material planes. It is like a king sending a loyal knight on a valiant quest. The king [I]could[\I] go but he's busy ruling the kingdom. Its why they have knights in the first place. It why families of farming people have tons of kids. There is shit to do and someone besides me needs to do it.

8Of Gods and Men Empty Re: Of Gods and Men Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:26 pm

The Reality Tailor

The Reality Tailor

Chaos' Plague wrote:Man are the tools of the gods, their hands and feet on the material planes.  It is like a king sending a loyal knight on a valiant quest.  The king [I]could[\I] go but he's busy ruling the kingdom.  Its why they have knights in the first place.  It why families of farming people have tons of kids.  There is shit to do and someone besides me needs to do it.

Also more kids equals a slightly higher chance that one of the kids might be important and be able to get them off the farm.

9Of Gods and Men Empty Re: Of Gods and Men Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:39 pm

Malevolent Moose

Malevolent Moose

I am no tool,  I write my own destiny and choose my own path, No Man nor Deity will force my hand
I am my own king my own God and if I chose I will either be your savior or your  ultimate demise.....

10Of Gods and Men Empty Re: Of Gods and Men Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:29 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

Moose keeps ranting but I can't figure out what he's talking about.

11Of Gods and Men Empty Re: Of Gods and Men Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:56 pm

Malevolent Moose

Malevolent Moose

You will on Saturday

12Of Gods and Men Empty Re: Of Gods and Men Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:52 pm

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

Kings have knights and their gift is land. Gods have follower and their gift is....?

Sefs (farmers) had big families mainly cause the mortality rate was soo high, and that family labor is cheap.

13Of Gods and Men Empty Re: Of Gods and Men Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:43 pm

Vashir

Vashir

I havent too many books, article or whatever about that various Gods and there antics. But of the onces i have skimmed through. The Greek and possible Norse ones are my favorites

14Of Gods and Men Empty Re: Of Gods and Men Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:08 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

The responses are confirming what I said in an earlier comment. The gods in our games have been strangely absent. Time to kick up the madness of religious fervor. A nation run by the church is a nation of peace. Ask the witches of Salem.

15Of Gods and Men Empty Re: Of Gods and Men Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:25 pm

Vashir

Vashir

Chaos' Plague wrote:The responses are confirming what I said in an earlier comment.  The gods in our games have been strangely absent.  Time to kick up the madness of religious fervor.  A nation run by the church is a nation of peace.  Ask the witches of Salem.

don't forget the fear and persecution.

all those poor dead witches.

16Of Gods and Men Empty Re: Of Gods and Men Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:49 pm

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

The famous Inquisitions in Spain, The Pope sponsored Holy wars in the middle east, The loving days of Puritan persecution, These were some of histories most scientifically enlightening times.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum