CnC World War II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CnC World War II

Legends and Tales. Songs of Glory and Monuments to Valor. Post it all here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The actual benefits of RPG's

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The actual benefits of RPG's Empty The actual benefits of RPG's Fri May 13, 2011 4:31 pm

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

Found this article on a blog. Its actually about the first half of the complete. the rest is not really relevant, tough.

-- Figure this is a perfect read for Danny boy. --

There are the obvious ones -

Literacy & Numeracy Skills - no one who plays RPG's regularly (or even sporadically for that matter) ever has problems with reading, writing, or simple (or in the case of some games complex) maths. The educational benefits of playing an RPG are undeniable, yet those who berate RPG's always ignore them. Perhaps they would prefer it to be like the Dark Ages, where the Churchmen are education and the general populace aren't.

Social Aspect - I have made more friends via RPG's than from any other source. My oldest and dearest friend became that way because of regular contact playing AD&D. I have an enormous amount of respect for him, not just as a Human being - but as a gamer. I've encountered kids who really find it hard to make friends, and because of playing RPG's have bonded with others and made firm friends. Again, the "RPG" haters ignore this - citing the evils of becoming an RPG'er and selling one's soul to the Devil.

Then there are the less obvious ones -

Arts and Crafts Skills - though not as popular during play these days. I've seen some really elaborate Dungeon setups. Wonderfully crafted and painted, an old acquaintance of mine wouldn't DM a game unless he had everything built in 3D and painted monsters for every encounter! A lot of DM's/DM's (myself included from time to time) make their own props. Treasure Maps, Chests, Magic Items, and Scrolls - all meticulously crafted. I seen some Amazing work over the years.

Health - yes, health reasons. From the kid who suffers with allergies and asthma so badly they can't play sports or even go outdoors that much during the summer months, to the poor sod who suffers with depression.

I've been demoing Castles and Crusades a lot recently, one of my Gamers has been suffering badly with depression - his Mother told me that his roleplaying outlet has helped him medically (his Doctors actually told her this, that his attitude has become more and more positive) and his recovery has been definitely helped by these gaming sessions - helped with perspective, facing up to problems etc.

He's now DM'ing for his own group now, before he had very few friends - and wouldn't have had the confidence to set up his own group and be the main DM!

In my own experience - people who victimize/persecute roleplayers and vilify rpg's generally have problems of their own - and should put their own "houses" in order before causing problems and casting aspersions.

It makes me smile it really does, surely Jesus's message was one of tolerance, generosity, and acceptance - and a lot of "so called" Christians simple don't exhibit those traits at all!

In this day and age, of supposed enlightenment and tolerance (yea right - a local supermarket staff member has recently been "moved" because he's racist - very tolerant, but not very enlightened - the wanker should have been sacked IMHO) why are there still people with such an archaic attitude to RPG's.

2The actual benefits of RPG's Empty Re: The actual benefits of RPG's Fri May 27, 2011 5:53 pm

Drunk Flogger

Drunk Flogger

i Hope our boy danny boy actually reads this it would be cool for him to still respect the game like he use to

3The actual benefits of RPG's Empty Re: The actual benefits of RPG's Sat May 28, 2011 12:26 pm

Dark Shoo

Dark Shoo

I hate to say this but I kinda agree with random... I think he was misunderstood. I believe he respects it as a hobby but not a lifestyle, which was how we were treating it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum