CnC World War II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CnC World War II

Legends and Tales. Songs of Glory and Monuments to Valor. Post it all here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gary Gygax

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Gary Gygax Empty Gary Gygax Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:02 pm

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

Figure this master does not need any explanations or introductions.

SO, here I am bored at work and reading the Troll lords forums. Then I spot this thread that Gygax himself created in sole purpose of Q&A.

Here is one thing that stood out for me, as a direct copy and past from the forums page:
--------------------------------------------------

-Question/Comment:

jman5000 wrote:
Thanks for your thoughtful reply Gary!!! you say and so it shall be done!

ok, going a bit broader afield. why do YOU think the style of gaming that is now called 'old school' is still relevant in todays age?

Cheers,

J.

-----------------------------------------

-Answer:

Shocked Confused Rolling Eyes

What on earth makes anyone suppose that any other style of play besides the original sort deserves to be called RPGing?

That said, there is no need to apologize for, defend, or even explain having fun playing an RPG in whatever fashion the group finds most entertaining and amusing.

In conclusion, from what I can discern about the supposed new school, there is a distinct lack of both mental challenge and danger of character loss in the generally flaccid adventures presented. Less action and adventure and more yakking while sheparding of a bunch of coddled PCs mother-hened by a namby-pamby GM. Razz Mad Twisted Evil

Cheerio,
Gary
- Smile Smile Smile Shocked

2Gary Gygax Empty Re: Gary Gygax Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:29 pm

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

Here is another:

The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own Wink

Thus the able players appreciate the danger that their PCs face and overcome, gain a sense of accomplishment that is more than just succeeding in game play!

Cheers,
Gary

3Gary Gygax Empty Re: Gary Gygax Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:39 pm

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

The first time I played D&D back in the 80's with my older brother and his friends this is what fist drew me to this game:

http://www.yanshuf-books.co.il/images/dmg-b.jpg

That what what all DM's aspire to be, when thats still what I see to this day.

4Gary Gygax Empty Re: Gary Gygax Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:33 pm

Cambria

Cambria

I LOVE this quote by Gary Gygax:

"The new D&D is too rule intensive. It's relegated the Dungeon Master to being an entertainer rather than master of the game. It's done away with the archetypes, focused on nothing but combat and character power, lost the group cooperative aspect, bastardized the class-based system, and resembles a comic-book superheroes game more than a fantasy RPG where a player can play any alignment desired, not just lawful good."

5Gary Gygax Empty Re: Gary Gygax Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:35 pm

Cambria

Cambria

And this one is even better.....

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."

6Gary Gygax Empty Re: Gary Gygax Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:37 pm

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

That second quote is spot on!

7Gary Gygax Empty Re: Gary Gygax Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:05 am

The Serpent

The Serpent

Lyrah wrote:And this one is even better.....

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."

*In awe and speechless*

8Gary Gygax Empty Re: Gary Gygax Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:50 am

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

i dont like that quote. and yet i feel drawn to it like a fly to light

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum