CnC World War II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CnC World War II

Legends and Tales. Songs of Glory and Monuments to Valor. Post it all here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Munchkins (muhnch-kin)

+3
lancelot chamomile
Legendary
The Serpent
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Empty Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:46 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

In gaming, a Munchkin is a player who plays what is intended to be a non-competitive game (usually a role-playing game) in an aggressively competitive manner. A munchkin seeks within the context of the game to amass the greatest power, score the most "kills," and grab the most loot, no matter how deleterious their actions are to role-playing, the storyline, fairness, logic, or the other players' fun. The term is used almost exclusively as a pejorative and frequently is used in reference to powergamers and to immature players in general.

The term was applied originally to young gamers by older players, presumably because the connotation of being short and ridiculous (like the Munchkins in the book and film The Wizard of Oz) made it an apt label for the childish gamers it was applied to. However, before long it came to refer to anyone who engaged in a juvenile gaming style no matter their height, age or experience.

Munchkins are infamous for various degrees of cheating, willfully misinterpreting rules that work against them while loudly proclaiming ones that work in their favor. As a matter of course they selectively obey the letter of rules while perverting the spirit blatantly. The worst munchkins will cheat shamelessly, ignoring inconvenient numerical modifiers and fouling dice throws till they get the result they want. During character creation, munchkins engage in vicious min-maxing, leading to exceptionally unrealistic or unusual characters who make no sense except in terms of raw power.

Munchkins are often accused of roll-playing, a pun on 'role' that notes how munchkins are often more concerned with the numbers and die rolls than with the roles that they play.

A more neutral use of the term is in reference to novice players, who, not knowing yet how to roleplay, typically obsess about the statistical "power" of their characters rather than developing their characters' personalities.

A game master who constantly awards players magical or "broken" (overly powerful) items without proper backstory or justification can also be called a munchkin master. Many on-line roleplaying games, such as Diablo II, Final Fantasy XI, and World of Warcraft, foster this sort of roleplaying due to the limitations of MMORPGs in terms of personality. The stimulus created by improving one's equipment and stats can take the place of the emotion that is sometimes attained in "table top" roleplaying.

In French, the munchkin is known as a Gros Bill (Fat Bill), from the nickname of a Parisian player who played with roleplaying game author François Marcela-Froideval. Marcela-Froideval later wrote an article about this type of player with colleagues Didier Guisérix and Daniel Duverneuil in one the leading roleplaying game magazine Casus Belli (issue #4) in 1981, causing the widespread use of that nickname among French powerplayers.

(Taken from dictionary.sensagent.com)

We all know some now we have the proper name for them.

Are they wrong in their pursuit of 20+ strength and a 19 'to hit' at level 1? They don't think so. What do you think?

2Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Empty Re: Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:00 pm

Legendary

Legendary

Well I think you missed the 's' in the pronunciation of the word. Razz

Secondly I think I fit almost all of that deffinition(I don't try doing the same thing over and over again). Maybe that's why most of my characters are short guys...I always wondered why that was rabbit... I also love the name "Munchkin Master", it's epic.

3Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Empty Re: Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:06 pm

Legendary

Legendary

O right...I forgot to answer the question...You know I of course don't think they're wrong in trying to be the best that they can be(in the Army). Besides, what if they're trying to role-play a really strong character that is an expert at unarmed combat? Kind of hard to do when your str is a 9 and your 'To Hit' is 2...Just saying...Now I know most people are going to jump on this saying, "WELL IF YOU ROLE-PLAY YOU WILL BE ABLE TO BECOME A BETTER FIGHTER AND YOU CAN ROLE-PLAY BEING STRONG EVEN THOUGH YOU'RE NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To which I would reply, "You can't role-play being able to lift cars with a 9 str, and even with role-playing you can do all sorts of fighting styles and techniques, but that wont do anything when you roll a 6(total) to hit when you're lvl 15....Just saying....

Only the number two may challenge my power! afro

Last edited by Legendary on Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : had life instead of lift....fail)

4Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Empty Re: Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:38 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

I actually agree with you. If you are the kind of clown that puts a 9 in strength and tries to roleplay having Hulk strength when lesser human strenght was purposefully assigned, guess what? You actually can't roleplay through that situation. So you get 2 points and 2 cookies!

However, neither you nor any other Munchkin would do such a thing. You would give your character a 24 Strength and an Intellignece 2 and wonder why the GM insist that your charcter lacks the intelligence to do more than swing wildly at loud noises. Roleplaying is for depicting the personality of your character and how he/she reacts to a given stimulous. The placement of ability scores is what determines the physical and mental attributes of said character. You know this stuff, come on stop trying to confuse Darnell and Lloyd.

And I did forget the s, Sad

5Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Empty Re: Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:52 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

Munchkin Master is funny as hell!

6Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Empty Re: Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:14 am

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

fuck this im rolling up a new character. either that or not roleplay anymore. tired of being called an idiot. yep tired

7Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Empty Re: Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:39 am

The Serpent

The Serpent

STOP YOUR BELLYACHING! If we didn't want you playing, you wouldn't be playing anymore. If a statement bothers you maybe it hits close to home and you should think it over. If it bothers you because its false refute it, if its true change what bothers you or tell us to fuck off! No one is asking you to quit but if you feel strongly about it, it was fun.

8Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Empty Re: Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:54 pm

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

ok guys its been real

9Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Empty Re: Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:09 pm

Dark Shoo

Dark Shoo

I got that look...

10Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Empty Re: Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:10 pm

Cambria

Cambria

You decide to quit the one day I am coming to hang out.

Seriously son.... man up.

This whole group is filled with assholes and a bitch... You gotta roll with the punches because they come often.

11Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Empty Re: Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:14 pm

Dark Shoo

Dark Shoo

Lyrah wrote: and a bitch...

I resent this comment. Sad

12Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Empty Re: Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:19 pm

Cambria

Cambria

Um.... I was talking about myself.............. bounce

13Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Empty Re: Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:51 pm

Dark Shoo

Dark Shoo

Oh.................... I knew that.

14Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Empty Re: Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:21 am

lancelot chamomile

lancelot chamomile

i already talked to grom about it. situation is solved

15Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Empty Re: Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:56 am

The Serpent

The Serpent

Kinda miss Legendary pissing me off... lol, what is the world coming to?

16Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Empty Re: Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:45 am

Talis of Stormfall

Talis of Stormfall

is this the thread were darnell quit the forum?!

17Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Empty Re: Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:51 pm

The Serpent

The Serpent

Lol, of course

18Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Empty Re: Munchkins (muhnch-kin) Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:18 pm

Leetin McBeatin

Leetin McBeatin

And he was never heard from again...or at least typed from again.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum